AUSTIN, Texas – Senior Viktoria Malmros and sophomore India Wentz each recorded three points Thursday as the No. 6-ranked St. Edward’s University women’s soccer team defeated Rogers State, 2-0.
Malmros struck first for the Hilltoppers in the 56’ off of a forward pass from Wentz. Malmros took the pass one step inside the 18-yard box and one-timed it past the Hillcats’ goalkeeper to give SEU a 1-0 lead.
Wentz and Malmros exchanged roles in the 82’ to make it 2-0, St. Edward’s. A corner kick from Jenna Lipscomb fell at the front post where Malmros flicked it to Wentz who buried the ball in the back of the net.
Rogers State failed to record a shot in the final eight minutes of play and did not get one shot on goal in the entire match. Ocoee Wilson secured her seventh-straight shutout.
· Wilson has yet to be scored on as a Hilltopper with seven shutouts and a record of 5-0-2.
· The Steamboat Springs, Colo., native leads the nation with more than 684 scoreless minutes in goal.
· Malmros has two multi-point games this season after recording a goal and an assist at Oklahoma Christian Sept. 16.
· The Malmo, Sweden, native has five-career assists and four-career goals on 30 shots.
· Wentz has three, three-point games in her career.
· Sabrina Cone matched her career-high in shots with four against Rogers State and now has 50-career attempts.
· Senior Whytneigh Duffie has taken 75 shots in her four-year career.
· The last time SEU recorded seven-straight shutouts was 2013.
· St. Edward’s last unbeaten start through seven games came in 2013.
· The Hilltoppers have gone unbeaten in 19-straight Heartland Conference matches.
· Head Coach Nick Cowell’s career record is 396-120-39 overall and 180-34-18 at St. Edward’s.
STAT OF THE GAME I
731 – The Hilltoppers have not surrendered a goal in 731 minutes of action, dating back to the 63' of the first-round match of the NCAA Tournament in 2016.
STAT OF THE GAME II
10 – St. Edward’s created 10 corner-kick opportunities compared to the Hillcats’ two corner kicks.
Head Coach Nick Cowell on the match…
“I thought Rogers State was a very, very strong team coming in here today. The first half was a very even game. In the second half we wore them down with our extra depth and fitness, and I thought once we did that, we were able to take advantage of our matchups. The first half was a little dodgy, but the in second half I thought we really showed how we can play.”
Sophomore India Wentz on her performance against Rogers State…
“We came out ready to fight. We really wanted to win this game because Rogers State was No. 1 in the conference. We’ve had a couple overtime games recently, so we just wanted to put it away and come out with the win today.”
The Hilltoppers host Newman Saturday at 1 p.m. at Lewis-Chen Family Field. Live stats and video will be available at GoHilltoppers.com.
Follow St. Edward’s Women’s Soccer all season long on Twitter and Instagram using the handle @SEUWSoccer.