DENTON - The North Texas soccer team needed a tie or a win on Friday night to secure sole possession of the 2014 Conference USA regular season title. The Mean Green delivered in usual fashion with a flurry of goals on offense and a shutout on defense in the 4-0 victory against WKU in front of a home crowd.
For a fourth straight game, North Texas scored an early goal and then waited until the second half to add to the score. Jackie Kerestine and the defense secured their 12th shutout of the season and the third straight. North Texas has outscored its opponents, 11-0 in the last three victories.
"It is a tremendous feeling to win the championship outright on our home field," said North Texas head coach John Hedlund. "Our old rival Western Kentucky never made it easy. Fortunately, Anna and Amber came up with big goals in the second half to secure the win."
After Marchelle Davis gave North Texas a 1-0 lead in the 6th minute off a low shot past a diving keeper, the Mean Green did not find the goal again for more than 75 minutes. North Texas had its opportunities but seemed to miss that last pass or the on-target shot.
Anna Flobeck came off the bench to head in a ball sent from Tori Phillips on a free kick from 30 yards out at the 81-minute mark in the second half. That goal sparked the Mean Green offense, which went on to score three goals in a span of five minutes.
Amber Haggerty scored the next two goals off individual effort. She beat her defenders and shot the first one high that went in near post and the second was hit from the top of the penalty box.
Next up for North Texas
• North Texas earned the No. 1 seed in the conference tournament and will play Marshall, the No. 8 seed, on Wednesday, Nov. 5. at 4 p.m. in Charlotte, N.C.
Mean Green Quick Hitters
• With the win, North Texas secures the Conference USA regular season title outright. This is the program's ninth conference championship and sixth regular season title. This is the Mean Green's first conference championship in Conference USA.
• North Texas finished second in the regular season last year and was the runner-up in the tournament.
• With the win, North Texas extended its home winning streak against conference opponents to 49 games, which is the second longest in the nation. The Mean Green has not lost a home conference game since Oct. 31 of 2008.
• North Texas finished its regular season with a home record of 8-3. The Mean Green's overall home record in program history is 150-25-12 and 73-12-6 at the Mean Green Soccer Complex.
• North Texas finished its regular season with a 14-4-1 record. The Mean Green has won at least 14 games for the last four seasons.
• North Texas holds a 10-7-2 record against WKU.
• Amber Haggerty doubled her point total with two goals and an assist in the win.