No. 23/18 OSU Earns Point vs. No. 1 UW

October 12, 2014

CORVALLIS, Ore. – Freshman Jordan Jones found the net on a header in the 73rd minute, as the No. 23/18 Oregon State men’s soccer team battled top-ranked Washington to a 1-1 draw at Paul Lorenz Field on Sunday afternoon. As a team, the Beavers outshot the Huskies 22-16 in the match.

“It was a great game for the fans,” said head coach Steve Simmons. “Washington came in No. 1 in the nation, and they were trying to protect their status there. We know them very well, and that familiarity makes it interesting. Full credit to Washington, as they scored against the run of play, but also credit to our guys for being able to equalize.”

Washington (9-1-1, 2-0-1 Pac-12) drew first blood in the 64th minute, when Henry Wingo fired a shot from the top of the box that took a deflection on its way into the net.

The Beavers (8-3-1, 1-1-1) responded on Jones’ header less than 10 minutes later. Senior Will Seymore started the play off by launching the ball forward to Jones. The freshman’s first header was deflected by the goalkeeper, but he followed it up with a diving header that found the back of the net to level the score.

“Will played a fantastic ball over the top of the two centerbacks, and I was lucky enough to be in the right spot,” Jones said. “I was able to get my head on it just before their keeper got there, and I kept working to get the final product.”

Both sides were reduced to 10-men in the match, as Husky midfielder Cristian Roldan was shown a red card in the 58th minute, and Beaver defender Jalen Markey was sent off in the 106th.

Oregon State created numerous chances throughout the match, including some early opportunities. Sophomore Michael Steele came close to giving OSU the lead twice within the first 10 minutes, but his first shot curled wide, and his second was saved. Senior Khiry Shelton followed that up with a shot from the top of the box that rattled the crossbar in the 16th minute.

Shelton also came through with a pair of chances early in the second half, as he had back-to-back shots in the 46th minute. Both efforts were saved, however. Freshman Timmy Mueller also created an opportunity in the 57th, forcing a diving save with a shot from the top of the box.

Redshirt-junior goalkeeper Matt Bersano came up with a huge save late in regulation, as he dove to his right to stop a shot in the 87th minute.

Jones had the best chances of the overtime periods, placing a header just wide in the first session, and firing a shot across the face of goal in the second, but neither side was able to get on the board, as the match ended in a draw.

“I think we come away a little disappointed, but it was a very tight match,” Simmons said. “For coaches it was a nightmare, but for fans it was fantastic. We’ll learn a lot from this, and we’ll move on.”

The Beavers will return to action Thursday, when they hit the road to take on San Diego State.

Trending Videos
IMG Top 150 Rankings
see full ranking:
Boys Girls

College Rankings HQ