Text size

Northeastern blanks Fordham, 1-0

Published: September 10, 2013

Box Score  | Season Stats

BOSTON – A 10-1 second half shot advantage and a 47th minute goal from Matt Callahan proved to be the difference on Tuesday afternoon as the Northeastern men's soccer team (2-1-1) shutout Fordham (2-2-0) at Parsons Field, 1-0.

Callahan's goal, off a rebound following a shot from Donovan Fayd'Herbe de Maudave, was the freshman's first collegiate tally. Dylan Faber got the start in goal for NU, making one save for his first clean sheet of the season.

Northeastern outshot the Rams 15-5 in the match (7-1 shots on goal) while each team had two corner opportunities. Ram goalkeeper Alex Naples had six saves in the loss.

Both teams traded scoring opportunities during an evenly played first half, with the squads each generating four shots, with NU putting two on goal.

The Huskies thought they had earned a penalty kick midway through the opening half when Dante Marini tried to cross the ball from the left side of the box. The pass, however, was blocked by a Ram defender with Northeastern pleading for a handball.

Nine minutes later, Terence Carter found himself in possession of the ball from just outside the box, but could not spot Robbie Schallmo cutting to the left side of the net.

Freshman Christian McKenna entered the match for NU with 13:27 left in the first, and began tilting the field in the Huskies favor. His first scoring bid came with 10 minutes to play when Fayd'Herbe de Maudave sent a pass up to the freshman streaking down the left side of the field, but McKenna's shot sailed just over the bar.

Fordham nearly took a 1-0 lead late in the half on a corner opportunity, but Faber was there to punch the ball out of danger after an entry pass from Ollie Kelly.

Looking to build on the momentum gained from its chances late in the first half, the Huskies came out of intermission with heavy pressure on the Rams, and netted the game's first goal less than two minutes into the second half. After Carter sent the ball into the box on NU's second quarter of the match, Fayd'Herbe de Maudave's shot on goal was saved by Naples, but the rebound popped right onto the foot of Callahan who deposited it into the back of the net for his first goal of the season.

NU made a bid to extend its lead in the 61st minute of action when Marini took a pass from Fayd'Herbe de Maudave, made a quick dribble and sent the ball into the center of the box, but Carter's header was just off the mark and over the crossbar. Carter would try to reciprocate just three minutes later with a soft touch pass up to Marini cutting to the net, but a Fordham defender corralled the ball to thwart the bid.

Fordham attempted to find the equalizer with 13:30 left in regulation when Tommy Granot sent a free kick in on goal, but once again Faber was there to knock the ball away.

The Huskies will be back in action on Saturday when Northeastern travels to Providence for a 3 p.m. match with the Friars.

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. TopDrawerSoccer.com, 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2020 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.