HAMDEN, CT – Quinnipiac scored twice in the final seven minutes to defeat the Rider University men’s soccer team, 2-1, Wednesday afternoon. With the loss, the Broncs slip to 4-8-1 (3-3-0 MAAC), while the Bobcats are now 7-5-1 (5-1-0 MAAC).
The Broncs took the lead in the 61st minute, when Aaron Robinson (Lancaster, PA/Conestoga Valley) scored his first goal in more than two years, beating Quinnipiac goalkeeper Chrysostomos Iakovidis for the 1-0 lead. Borja Ares Ortiz (Entrambasaguas, Cantabria, Spain/Universidad Europea del Atlantico) was credited with his first assist as a Bronc.
But in the 84th minute, the Bobcats equalized on Eamon Whelan’s MAAC-leading ninth goal of the year off an assist from Rashawn Dally. Six minutes later, Dally nearly finished a cross in front again, but Rider goalkeeper Pablo Gatinois (Madrid, Spain/Lycee Francais de Madrid [Oregon State]) made the initial save. Whelan collected the rebound and found the back of the net from inside the six-yard box for the game-winning goal.
Quotes and Notes
“It was a tough one to lose.” – Rider Head Coach Charlie Inverso
- Rider had won its last five games against Quinnipiac. The Bobcats cut the Broncs’ lead in the all-time series to 5-3.
- Rider had won the last two games in Hamden in 2016, including the MAAC Championship Game. However, those two games were contested on the grass QU Soccer Field. The Bobcats moved to the turf Quinnipiac Soccer and Lacrosse Stadium last season.
- Robinson’s goal was the second of his career. The first came in his second collegiate game, Sept.
Broncs By The Numbers
- Quinnipiac took a 13-6 edge in shots, including a 5-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Bobcats took three corner kicks to the Broncs’ two.
- Arthur Herpreck (Brest, France/West Brittany) led the Broncs with a pair of shots, including one on goal.
- Gatinois made three saves in net for the Broncs.