LOUDONVILLE, NY – Pablo DeCastro (Madrid, Spain/Universidad Francisco de Vitoria) scored for the fourth-straight game as the Rider University men’s soccer team defeated Siena, 1-0, on the road Wednesday afternoon. With the win, the Broncs improve to 6-5-2 (3-2-2 MAAC), while the Saints slip to 5-9-0 (2-4-0 MAAC).
Following a scoreless first half, the game remained scoreless until DeCastro’s strike in the 78th minute. Sam Carter (Queens, NY/Archbishop Molloy [Loyola (Md.)]) played the ball to Clement Bourret (Orleans, France/Lycee Jean Giraudoux) who got past the keeper and fed to DeCastro for the game-winning goal.
Quotes and Notes
“We got hit with more injuries today and it would have been easy to pack it in because we continued to create chances but not finish. We always play hard, but today we stepped up and played even harder. It makes me proud of this program when we win on the road.” – Rider Head Coach Charlie Inverso
- Rider evened the series with Siena at 11-11-5 with their second-straight win. In the last eight meetings with Siena, Rider is 6-1-1.
- Through 13 games this season, Rider has not had consecutive wins, losses or ties.
- The Broncs return to action Saturday, when they play host to Marist for a 1 p.m. kickoff. Prior to the game, Rider will honor its seniors on Senior Day.
Broncs By The Numbers
- DeCastro’s goal was his team-leading seventh of the year and the 24th of his Rider career. He also has a team-best 16 points this season.
- Pablo Gatinois (Madrid, Spain/Lycee Francais de Madrid [Oregon State]) made one save to compile his 11th shutout with the Broncs and the 12th of his collegiate career. The 11 shutouts tie him with Ryan Baird (11) for fourth all-time at Rider, while David Pastuna (12), Keith Richardson (14) and Chip Maruca (15) follow.
- The assists were the third and second of the year for Bourret and Carter, respectively.
- Rider took a 7-5 edge in shots, including an 4-1 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Broncs took a 6-2 advantage in corner kicks.