NEW ROCHELLE, NY – Aaron Gabriel (Louisville, KY/Louisville Collegiate School) scored his first goal of the year with just over a minute remaining in the second overtime as the Rider University men’s soccer team defeated Iona, 2-1, on the road in double overtime Wednesday afternoon. With the win, the Broncs improve to 7-6-2 (4-3-2 MAAC), while the Gaels slip to 10-4-1 (5-2-1 MAAC).
After 71 scoreless minutes, Matt Araujo (Fords, NJ/Saint Joseph) broke the deadlock, collecting a cross knocked out by Iona goalkeeper Giuliano Santucci to the top of the 18-yard box, before curling a shot over the Gaels’ keeper and inside the left post for the 1-0 lead.
Rider goalkeeper Pablo Gatinois (Madrid, Spain/Lycee Francais de Madrid [Oregon State]) stopped three shots between the 83rd and 86th minutes to preserve the lead until Mauro Bravo lined up a free kick from just outside of the right side of the 18-yard box. His high shot snuck under the crossbar past Gatinois for the equalizer in the 88th minute, sending the game to overtime.
Still 1-1 through nearly 19 minutes of overtime, Arthur Herpreck (Brest, France/West Brittany) and Araujo connected on passes down the left sideline, getting Gabriel into the box. The Rider junior sent a low shot to the right of Santucci for the decisive score.
Quotes and Notes
“We’ve been waiting for that from Gabriel for a long time. He’s got a lot of speed. He’s got a lot of talent. I’m really happy for the kid because he’s had some up’s and down’s.”
“We’re grinders. That’s what we’ve always done here. We work hard and I’m really proud of these guys. They could’ve given up. Indicative of giving away a goal with three minutes left, that’s indicative of our whole season, and they just kept pushing it. And we’re really thin. We barely finished with enough guys. So, I’m really proud of them.” – Rider Head Coach Charlie Inverso
- In its last 15 home games, Iona is 11-2-2, with the only two losses coming to Rider.
- The win was the Broncs' sixth-straight over Iona, giving Rider a 12-10-1 advantage in the all-time series.
- The game was Rider’s fifth to go to overtime in its last seven and the Broncs’ sixth overtime contest of the year.
- Through 15 games this season, Rider has not had consecutive wins, losses or ties.
- Following the bye date on the MAAC schedule Saturday, the Broncs close out the regular season on Wednesday, Nov. 6, when they play host to Quinnipiac.
Broncs By The Numbers
- The goal was Araujo’s first as a Bronc, marking the second-straight game a Rider player scored his first-career goal. Taner Bay (Webster, NY/Webster Thomas) scored his first collegiate goal last time out against Marist.
- Araujo’s assist was his second of the year, while Herpreck dished out his first assist of the season.
- Gabriel scored for the first time this season and the third time of his career, following two goals in his freshman campaign of 2017.
- Gatinois made six saves to earn the win in goal.
- Rider took a 16-15 edge in shots. However, Iona had a 7-4 advantage in shots on goal.
- Rider took six corner kicks to the Gaels’ five.