Rubin impresses in Dallas Cup win
DALLAS - Rubio Rubin looked right at home as a right winger for the United States’ U20s as the Dr Pepper Dallas Cup opened four days ago – hardly a surprise, as the gifted young American has trained with FC Utrecht in the Netherlands since last summer.
The denizens of Dutch soccer, of course, work in “4-3-3” the way Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh worked in bold colors, hence Ruben’s familiarity with the role – the “No. 7” in wing-play parlance.
But he looked equally adept in more central areas Wednesday as a striker in a 4-4-2 alignment that manager Tab Ramos deployed, a diamond midfield behind Rubin and fellow frontrunner Ben Spencer. Rubin’s goal just before the break Wednesday was the highlight of a 1-0 win over Tigres, clearly the moment that mattered as the U.S. U20s now march into this weekend’s semifinals with three wins in three matches.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: May 23-29
- Tracking Division I coaching changes
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- 2022 Girls IMG Academy Player Rankings
- Commitments: Heading to the ACC
- MLS Next Flex Under-17 Best XI
- Big 12 Women's Breakout Players to Know
- Soccer Masters TeamRank Update - Girls
- Commitments: A defender picks for 2023
- MLS Next Flex Under-16 Best XI
College Rankings HQ
- DI Top 25
- DI Top 25 Composite
- Upperclassman Top 100
- Freshman Top 100
- Conference Top 20s