Text size


Published: October 7, 2012

WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J. – Junior captain Joseph Schmid (Kingston, Pa./Wyoming Valley West) scored the golden goal in the 102nd minute off a 25-yard strike from directly in front of the net as the Monmouth University men’s soccer team defeated Bryant, 3-2, in double-overtime Sunday afternoon. With the win, the Hawks move to 6-3-2 (1-1-1 NEC), while the Bulldogs fall to 3-5-1 (1-3-0 NEC).


“I thought that Bryant were fantastic today in a game that typifies a lot of games in the NEC,” said Monmouth Head Coach Robert McCourt. “Our guys showed tremendous character bouncing back from adversity. Hopefully we can use this as momentum to push forward in the conference.”


Brothers Andres and Tomas Penfold (Scarsdale, N.Y./Scarsdale) each scored in regulation for the Hawks. Andres tied the game at 1-1 off a Ryan Clark (Freehold, N.J./Freehold Township) assist, while Tomas got on the end of a Matt Beverin (Glen Rock, N.J./Glen Rock) corner kick in the 88th minute to tie the game at 2-2.


Following a scoreless first half, Matt Guerriero broke the ice for the Bulldogs in the 53rd minute. Connor Norat fed a streaking Guerriero into the top left of the box before the freshman finished just below Monmouth goalkeeper Alex Blackburn’s (Natick, Mass./Natick) fingertips.


In the 65th minute, Clark sent a pass into the box that reached Andres Penfold in stride. The sophomore then beat Bryant goalkeeper George Spanos one-on-one into the upper 90 for the equalizer.


Less than two minutes later in the 66th minute, Bryant reclaimed the lead. Shane Murphy played a free kick from along the sideline near midfield that went untouched into the box until it bounced off the cross bar. Kyle Jester then deposited it into the back of the net from the doorstep.


The Hawks again knotted the game in the 88th minute, this time off a corner kick. Beverin bent the ball into the box where Tomas Penfold headed it in from close range.


After the teams went scoreless through the first overtime, Schmid struck for the golden goal less than two minutes into the second overtime session. A ball was played over the top to a crowd near the top of the 18-yard box. The ball was knocked back out to Schmid, who hammered a shot from 25 yards out inside the left post past Spanos for the victory.    


“It was just a lofted ball and Andres went up for the header,” said Schmid. “The ball just came out and I hit it really well.”


For the game, the Hawks took an 11-7 edge in shots, while also taking 10 corner kicks to the Bulldogs’ three. Blackburn made three saves in securing the victory, while Spanos made two saves for Bryant.


The Hawks return to NEC action Thursday, when they travel to Quinnipiac to make up the game previously scheduled for Sept. 28. Kickoff from the Quinnipiac Soccer Field is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.    

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1. © 2021 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and TopDrawerSoccer.com are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.