LAWRENCEVILLE, NJ – Temple’s Jalen Campbell scored the golden goal in the 94th minute to defeat the Rider University men’s soccer team, 1-0, Wednesday night on Ben Cohen Field. With the loss, the Broncs fall to 0-2-1, while the Owls are now 2-2-0.
The Broncs generated several solid scoring chances in the first half and owned an 8-2 edge in shots in the period. But neither team could put one into the back of the net. The second half featured just one shot either way, while the first shot of overtime was Campbell’s game-winner.
Belal Mohamed played the ball from the right corner back up the near sideline to Leandros Lillis, whose cross found Campbell, who leapt from 10 yards out to connect on one touch for the tally inside the near, right post.
Quotes and Notes
“There were some good signs. The first half was actually pretty good. I still think, more than anything, it’s a fitness thing right now. You could see it in our lack of sharpness in the second half. You could see we were late getting into tackles, caused way more fouls than we did in the first half, just missed a few balls. And when that happens, we’re really not a cohesive unit, when we’re not getting to balls on time and not getting to close people down. Having said that, we saw some good things from guys that came into the game. By no means am I pessimistic about this team. I’m very optimistic.” – Rider Head Coach Charlie Inverso
- Temple now leads the all-time series, 29-7-2.
- The game was Temple’s fourth-straight on the road to open the season, while Rider has played three in a row at home to begin the year.
- The Owls turned the tables on the Broncs, who took a 1-0 win in overtime last Sept. 3 in Philadelphia, also in the 94th minute. Clement Bourret (Orleans, France/Lycee Jean Giraudoux) scored the game winner off an assist from Pablo DeCastro (Madrid, Spain/Universidad Francisco de Vitoria).
Broncs By The Numbers
- The loss in overtime snaps a streak of 16-straight undefeated contests that went to extra time. The Broncs were 7-0-9 since 2014 in overtime games.
- Rider took an 8-4 edge in shots, including a 3-2 advantage in shots on goal, for the game.
- The Broncs also took nine corner kicks to the Owls’ three.
- Elliott Otmani (La Ciotat, France/Bonaparte) led the Broncs with three shots. Five others took one shot each.