No Top 25 games today - Click to view all scores
Text size

Terriers Fall to Fairleigh Dickinson; 2-1

Published: November 1, 2013

Teaneck, New Jersey---Despite trimming the deficit to a single goal late, the St. Francis Brooklyn men’s soccer team were defeated by the 2012 Northeast Conference champions, Fairleigh Dickinson, 2-1 on Friday evening. The setback finds the Terriers at 9-5-1; 3-3 in the Northeast Conference. The Knights improve to 9-6-1 and 2-2-1 in conference play.

The playoff scenario stands as follows: Central Connecticut clinched the 2013 Northeast Conference regular season title with their 1-0 victory over Saint Francis U. The Red Flash is currently second, followed by the Terriers.  There is a three-team tie for the final spot between Fairleigh Dickinson, LIU Brooklyn and Bryant.  St. Francis Brooklyn is idle on Sunday while the Knights head to Bryant and LIU Brooklyn travels to Sacred Heart on Sunday afternoon.

The Knights nearly tallied the first goal of the match just eight minutes into the contest.  St. Francis Brooklyn was called for a foul deep in their own zone.  The referees awarded a penalty shot to the home eleven. Midfielder Anders Vest-Hansen was chosen to take the attempt for the Knights.

Vest-Hansen approached the ball after making a stop-go motion and delivered a boot that was headed to the back right of the net.  Terriers’ junior netminder Jack Binks made a tremendous diving save to keep the Knights off the scoreboard. 

St. Francis Brooklyn’s best chance came in the 14th minute off the foot of senior forward Gabriel Bagot. Bagot drove a rocket of shot that bounced right off the right post.  On the next Terrier possession, senior midfielder James Caicedo was able to beat his defender on the right side and deep in the box.  He attempted to cross the ball to Bagot but the attempt was deflected off the senior forward and rolled out-of-bounds.

Both teams entered the half scoreless.  When play resumed in the second half, the Terriers had a golden opportunity in the 51st minute as Riccardo Milano’s shot attempt hit the top of the crossbar.  Both teams alternated possessions for the next thirteen minutes before the Knights converted on the first goal of the match.

After a Terrier defender knocked the ball past midfield, Nico Wright of FDU was able to locate the loose ball and soared down the left side of the field.  He then blasted a shot from about thirty yards out to the right side of the back of the net to give the Knights a 1-0 lead. 

Three minutes later, Vest-Hansen was able to feed Martin Lukaschik a pass that he then was able to play it to Kean Lewis in the middle of the box.  Lewis was able to slide past a Terrier defender to his left and beat Binks to the lower-left side of the goal to extend the FDU lead to 2-0. 

St. Francis Brooklyn was able to cut the lead to 2-1 when sophomore midfielder Harry Odell netted his first career goal.  The Manchester, England product was able to beat Jacob Lissek from close range on the left side. 

With just two minutes remaining in the contest, Bagot had a chance to tie the match but his header attempt from inside the box sailed wide of the goal.

The Knights held a 10-8 advantage in shots, while both teams took two corners in the match.  Binks finished the game with three saves while his counterpart Lissek didn’t record a save and yielded the lone Terrier goal.

St. Francis Brooklyn will close out the 2013 regular season on November 10th as they take on the LIU Brooklyn at 12:00 pm from LIU Field. 

Advanced Soccer Media
    1. About Us
    2. Terms and Conditions
    3. Privacy Policy
    4. Advertise with Us
    5. Jobs
    6. Contact Us
    7. NCAA Compliance
    1., 5855 Green Valley Circle, Ste. 303, Culver City, CA 90230
      © 2019 Advanced Sports Media, LLC. TeamRank™, Players to Watch™, and are trademarks Advanced Sports Media, LLC. All rights reserved.