UConn Earns 0-0 Draw with Washington

September 10, 2013

STORRS, Conn. – The No. 3 University of Connecticut Huskies earned a 0-0 draw with the No. 10 Washington Huskies on Tuesday night at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium. Andre Blake played all 110 minutes, needing just two saves to keep Washington at bay. UConn is now 2-0-1, while Washington stands at 3-0-1 on the young season.

Both teams had their share of opportunities in the first half, with UConn holding a 6-3 edge in shots. In the 8th minute, Jakob Nerwinski, who made his first career start, sent a dangerous cross towards Mamadou Diouf in the middle of the box, but a Washington defender was able to boot the ball away. Eleven minutes later, Nerwinksi threaded a beautiful through-ball to Edir DaGraca, who had his shot blocked by a sliding defender.

In the 37th minute, Washington’s James Moberg found space in the middle of the field but fired his shot from 30 yards out, high and wide right.

UConn had a flurry of chances late in the first half, as Adria Beso had a good look at goal but fired his shot over the net. With just 18 seconds remaining, George Fochive took a direct free-kick from 22 yards out that soared just over the crossbar and into the crowd.

Four minutes into second half, Diouf received a pass in the top left of the box and eluded a defender but sent his shot just wide left of the net. In the 53rd minute, Beso sent a through-ball to Cyle Larin who was able to beat the last defender but couldn’t get a shot off as goalkeeper Spencer Richey came sliding in to grab the ball 12 yards away from goal.

In the 69th minute, Diouf one-timed a shot from 22 yards out that curled wide right and into the stands.

A scary moment occurred in the 83rd minute when Larin collided hard with Richey at the top of the box.

Richey fell and remained down for nearly 10 minutes. He was unable to walk off the field on his own power and was replaced by Ryan Herman. No foul was called on the play.   

Both teams’ best chances after regulation came in the second overtime. In the 104th minute, UConn had two cracks at the goal when DaGraca attempted back-to-back corner kicks. Neither kick reached a Connecticut  player but DaGraca was able to corral the rebound and was fouled hard just outside of the box. Unfortunately for the East Coast Huskies, his free-kick soared harmlessly over the goal.

In the 108th minute, Darwin Jones blasted a shot at Blake who was able to make the save in what proved to be Washington’s last opportunity.

“Let me tell you,” said Ray Reid. “Andre Blake played phenomenal tonight. He made things look easy. Those plays he made out there were not easy”

Connecticut will be back in action on Saturday, September 14th when it faces Bradley at Morrone Stadium at 7:00 p.m.


IMG Top 150 Rankings
see full ranking:
Boys Girls

College Rankings HQ