NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, NY – The Rider University women’s soccer team took a 1-0 lead in the 36th minute, but fell to Niagara, 2-1, Saturday afternoon on the road. With the loss, the Broncs fall to 5-3-1 (1-1-0 MAAC), while the Purple Eagles are now 6-3-0 (2-0-0 MAAC).
The Broncs got on the board in the 36th minute, as Meghan McCabe (Massapequa Park, NY/Massapequa) calmly collected Valeria Pascuet’s (Bunuel, Navarra, Spain/San Fermin Ikastola) corner kick at the right post, let her defender pass and deposited it into the back of the net from close range. But just 26 seconds later, the Purple Eagles evened the score at 1-1 on a Hailey Bicknell goal.
In the 71st minute, the Purple Eagles were awarded a PK and Kelsey Araujo found the back of the net for what proved to be the game winner.
- The Purple Eagles now lead the all-time series, 12-9-2.
- The Broncs had won three-straight entering the game.
- Rider scored first for the fourth-straight game after conceding the match’s first goal in each of its first five.
- McCabe has now registered a point in each of the last two games. She assisted on the game-winner over Monmouth and added a goal today against Niagara.
Broncs By The Numbers
- Sophomore goalkeeper Carmen Carbonell (Valencia, Spain/Guadalaviar School) has now made seven saves or more in each of the seven games she’s played more than 39 minutes. She made seven stops Saturday.
- McCabe’s goal, her first of the season, gives her seven for her career and 15 points in her four seasons at Rider.
- Niagara took a 21-19 edge in shots, including a 9-6 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Broncs held an 4-3 edge in corner kicks.