Thunder Shutout Scots as Hilson Scores Twice
ALMA, Mich. - It was another solid performance by the Trine University men’s soccer team as they earned their 11th shutout of the season with a 3-0 win over Alma College. The Thunder are now 10-2-2 on the season and 6-2-1 in the MIAA. With the win the Thunder moved into a tie for first place in the conference.
The Thunder, ranked ninth in the most recent NSCAA central region, got the scoring going early as senior Foster Webb (Auburn, Ind./Dekalb) found junior Andre Hilson (Bremen, Ind./Bremen) just over nine minutes into the game.
It would take almost 80 minutes for another goal, but Hilson once again found the back of the net. This time it was freshman Karston Shepard (Plainfield, Ind./Plainfield) who led Hilson with a pass out in front into the box. With just 24 seconds left in the game, this time it would be Hilson with the assist as he found Webb who dribbled into the box and scored his team-leading sixth goal of the season.
Senior goalkeeper Nick Thon (South Haven, Mich./South Haven) extended his school record earning his 10th shutout of the season while making seven saves.
Both teams had their opportunities to score as Trine held a slim 21-to-18 shot advantage. The Scots had the advantage in the first half leading 15-to-9 while the two teams switched in the second half with Trine out shooting Alma 12-to-3.
Trine will host regionally ranked Hope College on October 19 for a 4:00 p.m. game.
- SIMA Recruiting Roundup: December 4-10
- How Do I Get Scouted by TopDrawerSoccer?
- Tracking Division I Coaching Changes
- MLS Next Fest: Day 4 Standouts
- College Cup: Notre Dame Reaches Final
- College Cup: Clemson Holds off WVU
- Girls HS A-A Game Roster Breakdown
- MLS Next Fest: Day 3 Standouts
- Boys HS A-A Game Roster Breakdown
- ECNL Girls New England Players to Watch